Baltusrol’s golfing grounds have been an evolving landscape. The courses have advanced to stay current with technological and player skill improvements in the game. The history of golf at Baltusrol is a reflection of the history of golf in America – like the gutty golf ball, hickory shafts and persimmon club heads of yesterday have advanced to today’s multi-piece balls, light weight graphite shafts, and highstrength composite metal heads.
The courses which opened in 1922 were the culmination of Tillinghast’s “Dual Courses” project, a bold initiative to build two courses side by side at the same time. Untried prior to Tillinghast’s proposal, the Dual Courses concept was an historic accomplishment in the world of golf course design at the time and made Tillinghast’s career. In fact, his seminal work at Baltusrol was designated a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior's National Park Service. Baltusrol is also listed on the State of New Jersey and Federal Registers of Historic Places.
While Tillinghast’s courses have been lengthened and strengthened for modern tournament play, the architect’s designs remain intact and have been carefully preserved over the years. For the more detailed architectural history of the courses, please refer to the articles entitled The Vision for the Dual Courses and The Rees Jones Era at Baltusrol.
Today, the Lower and Upper both are ranked in the Top 100 Courses in America by all three major golf publications, Golf Digest, Golfweek, and Golf Magazine. They are known for a level of conditioning matched by few clubs.
To read more about the origins of the courses and Tillinghast and others involved in their creation, please visit the Club History section. To view hole-by-hole photos of the courses and their scorecards, click on the links above.